Be a Better Single Mom
Why am I better as a Single Mom?
I’m a better mom now than when I was married. I know it’s a harsh thing to say but its true. When I was married, I had someone to complement my weakness and vice versa, but now it’s just me. And I have been challenged to become a better parent. How have I changed?
1. I have a routine. I wake up earlier, and I go to bed earlier. This is a huge help in keeping a daily routine. I wake up a few minutes before my son, and I take time for myself, think about the coming day, drink some coffee, or whatever. Then we start our day. Play, pre-k learning, chores, etc. Every day is loosely structured to help us make the most of it.
2. I let shit go! All the time I just let it go. I don’t worry about the small details. There are always going to be things that are out of your control, so why stress. Just let that shit go.
3. I don’t worry about what other people think of me. BTW this one was really tough, and sometimes I have to remind myself that it doesn’t matter. But I can honestly say that I’m so much happier not caring about what other people think.
4. I say “No, ” and I say it a lot. There are only so many hours in the day and so my dollars in my account. You can’t do or have everything you want. Instead, we prioritize. It’s about quality, not quantity. If my son really wants to do something we schedule it when we have time to enjoy it fully. If it costs money, we budget for it. It’s that simple.
5. I don’t compete with my ex. Just because you have something at your dad’s does not mean you have it at mom’s. I don’t try to “out do” my ex on toys, outings, or for birthdays. I just don’t see the point in trying to “compete” when there is nothing to compete about.
I know that it’s challenging being a single parent. But, it’s all about figuring out what works best for you and your family.